We got approved at our new apartment! We are so thrilled Now comes the moving madness, but I am committed to making this an easy transition so I am going to start early and start purging the house. Moving from a big 3 bedroom house to a studio won’t be easy but we are just so thrilled to be in a nice area full of restaurants and walking trails now. There’s even a dog beach for the pups! Nothing feels as refreshing as being able to clean out your living space and life from clutter. There is nothing worse than clutter clogging up the feng shui in your place! But then comes the inevitable packing breakdown… when you realize you’ve just spent 3 days going through stuff in your house and nothing has even been packed yet.
Moving sucks… this year we are springing for movers, though. I deserve it. After moving myself about 11 times in 11 years, I DESERVE IT. If you have moved yourself, you know what I mean. Every couple I’ve talked to about it has said that they have almost broken up with their significant others on moving day. Yea, no thanks! I will pack and clean but once the mover’s show up….
Fabulousness will be me. Speaking of fabulous, lets talk about this amazing skinny gumbo I made!
I wanted a skinny soup cus I love soup, but I wanted to try something new. Since just recently having been to New Orleans, I was missing some of that spice! I used hot chicken sausage to make this soup a tad bit healthier and then loaded it with veggies.
The zucchini, onions, peppers, tomatoes and green onions were a perfect veggie mix, one of my favorites. I topped the gumbo with some brown jasmine rice, which is definitely one of my healthy faves too! If you hate brown rice, give this brown jasmine rice a try, a little bit more flavor. I am obsessed.
The spice in this soup is perfection, not too hot but definitely an awesome kick. I seriously want to put this chicken sausage in everything, its so good! And it comes from the Greenwise brand at Publix, which makes it all organic, no hormones, no antibiotics, no pesticides etc. I hope you make this and enjoy! I think it will definitely be a staple at my house, the boy absolutely LOVED it. He even almost pulled my yummy food happy dance! 😛
Time: 45 minutes
- 1 lb Hot Italian Chicken Sausage (I used the Greenwise brand from Publix)
- 1 medium, yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tsp Better than Bouillon (chicken flavor)
- 2 cups water
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Cook your jasmine rice per the directions on the bag in a separate pot and set aside.
- Set a big soup pot on the stove at medium/high heat.
- Drizzle a little bit of olive oil in the pot.
- Add the sausages, whole. Allow for the to cook on one side and then flip them around. I flipped them a few times. When they looked cooked through, take them out and set them on a cutting board or large place, now you want to slice them up into rounds. At this point I realized they weren’t completely cooked through, that’s fine cus you’re going to throw the slices back into the pot!.
- Toss them back in when they are all sliced up. When they are cooked through, set them on a plate and let them chill out for a bit while you cook the rest.
- In the same pot, you can either add more olive oil or just use the fat rendered from the sausage. Add onion, garlic, pepper, crushed red pepper and a pinch of salt & pepper. Saute for a few minutes.
- When the onions begin to get soft and clear, add the zucchini. I like adding the zucchini later because I love it with a bit of crunch.
- Now drizzle in the flour. Stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Add the bouillon.
- Add the water.
- Stir it up!
- Add the tomatoes and bay leaves.
- Bring everything to a boil and then lower the heat down to medium to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Now you can add the sausage back in and the green onions.
- Simmer for another 8-10 minutes to marry the sausage flavors with your soup.
Plate, top with your brown jasmine rice and more green onions if you wish and maybe some dipping french bread! I hope you love this!
I post about 3 recipes a week so keep checking or stay connected through Facebook for quick updates, http://www.facebook.com/tinytaster
***This recipe is NOT SPONSORED***