Chicken Vegetable and Red Lentil Stew is a hearty one bowl winter meal. Green beans or asparagus tips can be added to the mix as well. The recipe was developed for the National Chicken Council and ChickenRoost.com.
Chicken Vegetable and Red Lentil Stew
Yield: 6 servings
1 1/2 pounds chicken thigh meat, boneless and skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon freshly minced ginger
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon brown sugar
4 cups chicken broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 cup red lentils
1 (12-ounce) bag spinach, cleaned and chopped
2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro, plus additional for garnish
6 tablespoons plain yogurt or sour cream
1. In a stock pot, heat oil on medium. Add chicken and seasi with salt and cayenne pepper. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally to brown all sides of meat.
2. Add garlic, ginger, and onion. Saute for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add dried spices (cumin, mustard, coriander, and cinnamon) and brown sugar and stir until well combined.
3. Add broth and tomatoes with juice; bring mixture to a boil. Add the carrots and potatoes. Return mixture to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes. Add lentils, cover, and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
4. Using a fork, check to be sure vegetables are soft. When soft, add chopped spinach, stirring to combine just until spinach is wilted. Add the 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped cilantro.
5. Serve in soup bowls garnished with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and topped with additional chopped cilantro to taste.