Roast Chicken with Apple Cider Pan Gravy is my Morning Mix recipe of the week. Developed for ChickenRoost.com and the National Chicken Council, the recipe creates an impressive holiday entrée. Look for more recipes curated exclusively for WOMX Mix 105.1 at the station’s website.
Roast Chicken with Apple Cider Pan Gravy
Yield: 6 servings
1 (5-to 6-pound) whole chicken
1 sprig fresh marjoram
4 fresh sage leaves
6 sprigs thyme
1/2 apple, cored and cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups chicken stock, divided
1/2 cup apple cider
1 medium celery root
1 sweet apple, such as Fuji
1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme
1 teaspoon freshly chopped sage
1 teaspoon freshly chopped marjoram
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 jarred chestnuts, halved
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup apple cider
1 tablespoon soft butter
1 tablespoon flour
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Place herbs and apple into cavity of chicken, tie legs together and place in roasting pan. Pour 1 cup stock and cider around chicken. Roast chicken for 18-20 minutes for each pound (about 2 hours for a six pound bird).
2. Peel celery root and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Cut apple into thirds lengthwise, and then cut each third in half crosswise. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the second cup of stock to the roasting pan about one hour into roasting time. Ten minutes later, scatter vegetables around chicken. Sprinkle herbs, salt and pepper onto chicken. Add chestnuts. With a large spoon, turn vegetables to coat in pan juices. Baste chicken.
4. In a small bowl, place softened butter and add flour. With the back of a spoon, press butter against the side of the bowl to combine well. All flour should be incorporated into butter to form a paste; set aside.
5. Chicken is done roasting when an instant-read thermometer inserted in the deepest part of the thigh registers 180F. Remove chicken from oven and place on a carving board. Cover with foil. Remove vegetables from pan and reserve. Vegetables should be tender. Place back in oven if not soft when pierced with a fork.
6. For the pan gravy, place roasting pan on stovetop, add 1/2 cup stock and 1 cup apple cider and bring to a boil. Adding a little at a time, whisk butter/flour mixture into liquid. Whisk or stir until sauce is smooth and slightly thickened.
7. Carve chicken, serving vegetables alongside. Spoon pan gravy over chicken.
SOURCE: ChickenRoost.com and the National Chicken Council