Flank Steak Roulade was created by chef Michael Ollier for Certified Angus Beef. This recipe is great for holiday tables or entertaining anytime of the year. Flank is an economical choice that goes upscale with a stuffing mixture of walnuts, fresh Parmesan cheese, garlic and fragrant herbs, sun-dried tomatoes and arugula. Each slice makes for an impressive presentation. Add seasonal salad (torn romaine with Florida tomatoes and goat cheese) and a mix of roasted sweet and white potatoes (cube the potatoes, brush with olive oil and season lightly with garlic and rosemary to accent the flavor profile of the main dish and dinner is ready .
Flank Steak Roulade
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
2 to 2 1/2 pound Certified Angus Beef flank steak
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
8 ounces chopped walnuts, about 1 3/4 cups
5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt, divided
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cups loosely packed baby arugula
8 ounce jar sun-dried tomatoes, packed in olive oil
2 teaspoons dried rosemary, hand crushed
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Butterfly flank with the grain to 1/4-inch thick, yielding about an eleven by fourteen inch rectangle. Place in a shallow baking dish with balsamic vinegar. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
2. In a food processor, pulse together walnuts, 3 tablespoons parmesan, garlic, red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon salt to the consistency of coarse cornmeal. Add olive oil while blending to make a paste; set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 450F. Remove flank, pat dry & lay flat on a cutting board. Layer with walnut paste, arugula and sun dried tomatoes. Roll and tie roast to the 11-inch length. Season the exterior evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons parmesan, 1 teaspoon salt, rosemary and pepper. Set in roasting pan with rack, uncovered. Roast for 10 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to 325F and roast an additional sixty minutes for medium rare.
5. Allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing, two slices per person.
SOURCE: Certified Angus Beef