The more the merrier in Heather’s Florida Kitchen! That’s why I have teamed with the fabulous folks over at Orlando’s WOMX Mix 105.1 to offer the morning show’s Recipe of the Week. Today’s recipe is Grilled Sweet Corn & Shrimp Risotto. Fresh corn kernels add a sweet crunch to this creamy risotto with citrus dusted shrimp. Every Thursday, you can find more recipes exclusively for Mix 105.1’s Morning Mix here and at the radio station’s website.
Grilled Sweet Corn & Shrimp Risotto
Yield: 6 servings (about 12 cups)
5 ears sweet corn, preferably in husks
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds shrimp, shelled and deveined (about 20 large)
1 teaspoon grated lemon or orange rind
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup butter, divided
2 cups chopped sweet onion
1 leek (white part only), quartered lengthwise and sliced (about ½ cup)
3 cups arborio or short-grain rice
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon sliced chives
1. Preheat grill or oven to 375F. Grill or roast corn in the husk or wrapped in aluminum foil for 20 minutes; set aside to cool. Cut kernels from 3 of the ears (about 2 1/4 cups). Cut remaining 2 ears crosswise in 2-inch pieces; reserve.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over high heat, bring broth to a boil; reduce heat to low to keep broth warm.
3. In a bowl, toss shrimp with rind, salt and pepper.
4. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add shrimp; cook and stir just until pink, about 3 minutes; remove to a bowl and reserve. In the same saucepan, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add onion and leek; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Add rice; stir until combined and rice is hot. Add wine; cook and stir until the wine has almost evaporated, about 4 minutes. Add 1 cup of the warm broth. Cook, stirring continuously, gradually adding additional broth as it’s absorbed until all the broth has been incorporated and the rice is tender and creamy, about 15 minutes. If additional liquid is needed, add 2 tablespoons of water at a time until creamy.
5. When the risotto has finished cooking, stir in the corn kernels, shrimp and green onions; cook just until reheated. Divide risotto among six dinner plates. Garnish with reserved corn sections, basil and chives.
SOURCE: Fresh Sunshine Sweet Corn Council